History and Origins
Chase Collegiate was founded in 1865 as the Collegiate Institute for Young Ladies, which later changed its name to St. Margaret's School for Girls. The McTernan School for Boys was founded in 1912. In 1972, these two distinguished institutions merged, becoming St. Margaret's-McTernan, a non-religious, coeducational day school with a shared tradition of nurturing academic achievement and personal growth.
In 2005, St. Margaret's-McTernan changed its name to Chase Collegiate School. The new name honors the Chase family, which helped to found both St. Margaret's and McTernan, and preserves the original name by which the school was known.
John Durling Fixx
John Durling Fixx officially assumed the position of Headmaster on July 1, 2003, upon the retirement of Mrs. Field as Head of School in June, 2003.
A dynamic school administrator and educator, Mr. Fixx came to the School from the Headmaster position at The Lexington School in Lexington, Kentucky. After completing a nationwide search, the Search Committee selected Mr. Fixx in recognition of "his leadership, administrative skill, commitment to faculty and students, strong work ethic, inherent intelligence, and marvelous sense of humor." The combination of these traits makes him an excellent choice for our school. Click here to read more and to see a history of School Leadership