History and Origins
Chase Collegiate was founded in 1865 as the Collegiate Institute for Young Ladies, which later changed its name to St. Margaret's School for Girls. The McTernan School for Boys was founded in 1912. In 1972, these two distinguished institutions merged, becoming St. Margaret's-McTernan, a non-religious, coeducational day school with a shared tradition of nurturing academic achievement and personal growth.
In 2005, St. Margaret's-McTernan changed its name to Chase Collegiate School. The new name honors the Chase family, which helped to found both St. Margaret's and McTernan, and preserves the original name by which the school was known.
In 2015, Brendan Stumpf '04 produced a documentary about the School's history. The documentary premiered in September 2015 during the School's sesquicentennial celebration.
For a brief synopsis of our history, watch the video below.