Kingsbury Library and the Chase Drawing Room Received a Much-Needed Restoration
Early this summer, renovations began on the Kingsbury Library and The Chase Drawing Room. These two historic spaces, situated behind the foyer in St. Margaret’s Hall have long served as a gathering place for students, teachers, staff and alumni. From acting as an assembly place for prayer and reading during the St. Margaret’s years, to housing the class of 2017 in the moments prior to commencement, both spaces have been used and enjoyed to the fullest. With that being said, the spaces started to show signs of wear, and in the interest of restoring them to their former prestige, an anonymous donor stepped up and provided the funds necessary to conduct a full refresh.
All items previously housed in Kingsbury and the Drawing Room were dusted, polished and restored, including various class gifts given to the School. The Class of 1915’s grandfather clock, the Mason Hamlin Grand Piano donated in honor of Margaret De Lancy Hetzel ’25 and each heirloom-quality book and rug were cleaned and restored to their full glory. Wood floors were scrubbed and polished, plaster was repaired and walls and bookcases were painted in period-appropriate hues. All furniture received necessary repairs and was reupholstered in fresh fabrics that reflect the original look of each piece.
Head of School, Dr. Polly Peterson, saw this as an essential project to protect and celebrate the beloved history of Chase and worked with Chase's Archives Committee to have vintage photo canvases printed, which adds an extra dose of history to the cherished spot. The photos reflect the various groups of students who have walked the halls through the years, and celebrate the contributions each alumni group has made to the overall fabric of the school.